Katalon Studio supports Keywords-Driven testing, where test cases consist of keywords that represent actions of users on the AUT (Applications Under Test ). It allows users with less experience in programming to quickly generate automation tests. The below tutorial will give you step-by-step instructions to create an automation test case in manual mode. We will discuss the below topics in this tutorial:
- Steps to create a test case in Manual Mode
- Recent Keywords
- Recent Objects and Object Folders
Given a sample test case with the steps as following:
- Firstly, open the browser.
- Secondly, navigate to a website.
- Thirdly, click on certain control.
- Fourthly, validate if the control exists on the page.
- Finally, close the browser.
Subsequently, follow these steps to automate the above test scenario in Manual view:
1. First, select File > New > Test Case from the main menu. After that, the New Test Case dialog will display. Consequently, provide the name for the new test case. Finally, click the OK button.
2. Secondly, once we create a new test case, it is opened in the Manual view. Additionally, this view allows users to create automation tests easily with little programming skills required.
3. Thirdly, select Add > Web UI Keyword from the command toolbar.
Recent keywords allow users to quickly add any of the last ten currently used keywords in the Item list.
4. Fourthly, select the Open Browser (https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/webui-open-browser.html). This keyword will open a browser and navigate to the specified URL i(f provided. (selected keywords will have their description displayed along for reference).
5. Fifthly, add the Navigate To Url (https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/webui-navigate-to-url.html ). Subsequently, this keyword will navigate to a specified URL. After that, double click on the Input cell to provide additional data (parameters) for the keyword.
6. Sixthly, the Input dialog is displayed.
|No||It tells the number of the parameter for the selected keyword.|
|Param Name||The name of the parameter.|
|Param Type||The indicated data type for the parameter (e.g., String, Variable, or Test Data Value)|
|Value|| It tells the input value for this parameter. |
The input value can vary based on Value Type. Refer to Value Types in Katalon (https://docs.katalon.com/display/KD/Value+Types) for more details.
For now, enter the URL of Katalon demo AUT (http://demoaut.katalon.com) into the Value column then click OK.
7. Seventhly, add the Click (https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/webui-click.html). This keyword represents the click action on a given object. You need to provide the object for this keyword, though. Consequently, double click on the Object cell to open the Test Object Input dialog.
8. After that, all captured objects in Object Repository are displayed in the Test Object Input dialog (Refer to Spy Object – https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/spy-mobile-utility.html Consequently, for details regarding how to capture objects). Select your object, then click, OK.
9. Ninthly, add the Verify Element Present (https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/webui-verify-element-present.html). This keyword validates if a specific object displays on the executing browser. Similar to the previous step, you need to specify the object that you have to use with this keyword.
10. Finally, add the Close Browser (https://docs.katalon.com/katalon-studio/docs/webui-close-browser.html) keyword and save your test case.
11. After that, click on Run in the main toolbar to execute the test case.
Katalon Studio should execute all the steps of the sample test case, and you can see the Test Execution result in Log Viewer. For example:
Recent keywords allow users to quickly add any of the last ten recently used keywords in the Item list. For example, let’s take the test case above. If we have to add another Verify Element Present after Step 4, the recent keywords feature will accomplish this in seconds.
Highlight Step 4. Click on Recent Keywords and select Verify Element Present. An extra step is added after step 4, as illustrated below:
Recent Objects and Object Folders
Katalon Studio allows users to quickly select recently used Object or jump directly to recently used Object Folder in Object Repository.
The recent list will have two sections: Object Folder and Test Object.
- Test Object: Display the names of the last five selected objects
- Object Folder: Display the names of 5 folders that contain any recently used objects