In the last chapter we Downloaded Android SDK tool and in this chapter we will see what all Android SDK Packages are required to install on the system. In order to create android emulators for testing, It is required to have few packages installed on the system. This can be done by using Android SDK Manager.
- Android SDK should be installed on the system.
Steps to Open SDK Manager
In the last chapter, we did the installation of the Android SDK.
- Go to the folder, where the Android installation was done. I did it at the default location and on my system it is at C:\Users\lsharm\AppData\Local\Android
- Go to android-sdk folder
- Open SDK Manager.
This can be done by going to All Programs > Android SDK Tools > SDK Manager.
Install Android SDK Packages
Now it is the time to choose which all packages are required to install. It is suggested to have all the recent current version of the SDK Tools, Platform Tools, and several previous versions of the Build Tools.
1) I recommend to install the latest five APIs which are API 21 to API 25 in our case.
Note: If you are testing on older devices, or if your app only supports a certain version of Android, you might have to install older versions here. Honestly, there is a lot of debate and wide-ranging information on exactly what you should install here. Some people swear that you will need to install everything if you want to avoid unusual bugs, others will say it’s not necessary. I will leave it to you to experiment, but if disk space isn’t much of an issue for you then I would grab more packages/versions rather than less.
2) If you agree to install all the packages, select the Accept All radio button and proceed by clicking the Install button.
3) Now let SDK manager do its work and you go, pick up a cup of coffee and wait until all the packages are installed. It may take some time depending on your internet connection.
4) Once all the packages are installed, you can close SDK manager using top-right cross button.
Install Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager
After installation of all packages, Install Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager to avoid error during android virtual device creation. The following steps will install it.
At Your Location\Android\android-sdk\extras\intel\Hardware_Accelerated_Execution_Manager path, You will find intelhaxm-android.exe file. Double click on it to execute and install it.